Do you have a beautifully healthy herb garden but don’t know what else to do with your delicious herbs?
Why not dry & store them for some delicious cooking ahead..
There are two main methods for drying herbs;
- Air drying
- Microwaving/Oven Drying
Following I’ll list the best herbs for each method.
- Wash & dry herbs, cutting away all the bad bits.
- Bunch up the herb you want to dry & tie the end with a piece of twine.
- Hang in a dark area or somewhere with no excessive sunlight.
Microwaving OR Oven Drying-
- Using a paper plate preferable (a ordinary plate will overheat) place a piece of paper towel, if your doing this in the oven just lay them on a tray with baking paper.
- Separate herb leaves, placing them onto the paper towel.
- Place into the microwave for 2-3mins or until they can easily be crushed with your hands.
- If in the oven also wait till the consistency is the same.
Due to the excessive oils in both mint and basil they’re both best to microwave dry them- they tend to mould a lot quicker then others. You can still air dry them however, you have to ensure to hang them in a dark area with no exposure to sunlight.